Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Grammie Diaries

Watching the kids for the weekend is something I don't mind doing. My daughter & son-in-law get away so seldom, I am happy to help them. We had a great afternoon yesterday with everybody behaving and no meltdowns. I brought my bag of tricks and pulled out a few fun things to do. Pizza for dinner, baths, stories, new flashlights x 3 and they were all asleep by 7:36pm! I felt like the super hero of grammies!
No so fast...12:00am Jack wakes up and wants to crawl into my bed. The answer is easy ~ debate with a 4 year old at midnight or pull back the covers and let him in? At 1:30am, I heard Abbey crying and went to see what was wrong. Upon opening the bedroom door, my nose was assaulted with a hideous odor that could mean one thing ~ the puppy had pooped in her crate! Quickly getting Abbey back to bed, Maddy wakes up and tells me her nose is stuffy. I informed her what a lucky girl she is as the smell of poo is only getting worse! At 1:45am, I hit the "Pa Panic Button" in the kitchen. This is the pretend button Sean created long ago that, when you hit it, Pa comes running to the rescue. I didn't know how bad it was going to be with the dog and I needed help with getting the crate outside. Within seven minutes, he arrives, we access the damages, toss out the pooped blankets, wipe down the cage and put the dog back. By now, both girls are awake. Remember, they've had over 6 hours of solid sleep. I put one back to bed and within minutes the other one gets up. This goes on for an hour; it's now 3:00am. I finally crawl into the bottom bunk, put one on each side of me and tell them we are going to sleep! Maddy continues to ask, at least 6 more times, "When will it be morning, Grammie?" I figure, somewhere around 4:00am, they are both finally asleep. At 6:17am, Jackie Boy comes bounding in, refreshed from his full night's sleep and is ready to start the day! He wants his milk and cartoons on the sofa. As I drag my weary body to get it for him, he says to me, "If you get me milk, Grammie, I will pay you with a kiss." Enough said, the long night is forgotten. Well, all except the dog poop!

No comments:

Post a Comment