Monday, October 4, 2010

Extremes

My daughter and I are a lot alike in many ways. However, one way we are polar opposites. I am a rush in, take a stand, confront the issue type of person. My daughter is a wait, avoid conflict at any cost, least confronting person you can imagine. We have many lively discussions about how to handle situations because our styles are so different. She thinks I am a bull in the china shop and she cringes at my willingness to meet a situation, however uncomfortable, head on. I think she is a big chicken that won't confront things even if it might make her life easier. We are both wrong. We are both right. I think being so opposite in this area has actually helped us both be better people. I often bounce something off her as I know she will see a side I don't see. She, in turn, may not want to hear my suggestion on resolving some conflict in her life, but will at least takes bits and pieces, soften the edges and use my suggestion. Through it all, we continue to love each other and always want the best for each other and that is the happy medium where we meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment