Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ageless Joy


Yesterday, I had the privilege of creating a birthday party for a lady who turned 88 years young. She was so delighted with everything, it made me smile long after the party was over. Her friends, also abundant in years, all seemed happy to be sharing the day with her. She noted every little thing we did and how beautiful everything was. No detail went unnoticed.
What makes people age with joy or age with bitterness? It seems there is no in between. Life has a way of beating us up. How do some people come out the other end grateful to be here while others see no joy? My daughter constantly tells me she will not allow me to stop finding joy in daily life when I am older. She will haul my sorry, old bones around to the family functions. She will keep me involved and active. She will remind me it is better than the alternative. She will be right!

1 comment:

  1. Like she'll be "hauling" you anywhere--you'll still be giving the parties!

    ReplyDelete