Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I'm Happy for You...Kind Of

Frankly, I have hesitated writing a blog about this topic for fear you will discover what a truly wretched person I am! I pose the question ~ Are we ever REALLY happy for someone else's success? Of course, I know the politically correct, Christian thing to say is, "Yes! I am happy for them! Really!!" Then, once we blurt out those words, how many times does that little voice in our head say far different things? Why wasn't it me? I wish I had been that...lucky...smart...in the right place, at the right time! We may even wonder if there is a finite amount of success in our little world and, by our friend grabbing some of it, are we less likely to get any for our own? Logically, I know this is absurd, but, emotionally, I am not so sure.
Success comes in many forms. In our society, money is the first indicator most people use to measure success. I have been rich and I have been poor. Trust me, rich is way more fun but it also can be fleeting. Very few people got through these last few years in this economy unscathed. Those that seem well off may be doing so with what my husband and I call "All flash ~ no cash." Keeping up with the Jones no longer seems a worthwhile goal. Getting rid of debt is far more satisfying.
 Success in relationships is right up there in importance. Just ask the person in a loveless marriage or someone who has few or no real friends. Do we begrudge people who seem to be truly happily married? Do we tsk tsk when a couple splits up and say it's too bad....poor kids...etc all the while, saying to ourselves, "Thank God it's not us!"
Success isn't a word we often associate with health, but aren't we successful if our body and mind work as they are supposed to each day? We can get up and go about our daily life injury and disease free. Often overlooked on the days we feel well, lamented on the days we don't. We may not even realize our inner voice sighing with relief when we hear of someone else's health problems. We are sorry for them, sure, but we are even more thankful it's not us. 
It all brings me back to my original question ~ Are we ever REALLY happy for someone else's success? Are you? Can you admit it if sometimes you are not? By your comments when you see me, many people read my blog but few actually write a comment. I would love to have this post start a dialog about this topic. I really want to know what you think about this.
Biggsuzi


No comments:

Post a Comment