Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Firsts/Lasts

 Chat with any new mother, and she will surely tell you about some "firsts" for her baby ~ first time they smiled, first time they slept through the night, first time they crawled. Having children creates a lot of "firsts". When you are experiencing these firsts, it is a little difficult to believe that, sooner than you realize, you begin to also experience "lasts".
Today, was a "last" for me. For all three grandchildren, near the end of their Pre-K school year, I have gone into the classroom and cooked tacos for all the kids and teachers. Today marked the last time I will be doing that, as it is Abbey's final year there. It was fun and yet bittersweet. The kids have been at this preschool for 6+ years, all together. The teachers and staff have pretty much stayed the same for the whole time. They are kind and loving women who have helped so many kids reach "firsts" and "lasts". They have always been welcoming to this grammie.
What I realized today is, no matter what your age or stage of life, we are all experiencing "firsts" and "lasts". Sometimes we don't even realize it is a "last" until some time has passed and we look back. I know there are many more "firsts" for my grandchildren and I can't wait to be on the sidelines each and every one of those times, cheering them on and lauding their success or holding them close and wiping back tears to ease their hurts.
Messy stuff, this thing we call life. Messy and truly wonderful.
 Maybe it even holds a few more "firsts" for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment