Monday, February 7, 2022

Define "Gift"

                We have never been big Valentine’s Day people. It seems like such a Hallmark, commercial manufactured event. Do we really need a day to remind us that we are supposed to love and cherish our “person”? Isn’t that something we should be doing most days?

                What has happened over the years, is the redefinition of a Valentine’s Day gift. Flowers (overpriced this time of year), candy (we really don’t need the sugar), dinner out (too crowded to even be fun). So, it seems our gifts the last decade or so has been on the more practical side. Isn’t that what long married couples do? “Honey, we really need new patio furniture. Let’s get it for each other for Valentine’s Day.” “Hey, did you see Costco has a really cool air fryer on sale this month? Maybe it’s time we get one. It can be our Valentine’s Day gift to each other.” “I ordered new nonslip socks from Amazon so my freezing feet won’t bother you in bed. Let’s call them my Valentine’s Day gift!” I think you get the idea.

                This year, it seems my Valentine’s Day gift is in the form of more improvements to my tortoise habitat. My kind husband, who shows his love by acts of service, added stucco and painted the wall that is around the perimeter. Now this may seem like a lousy, unromantic gift to you, but to me, it’s a treat. He has been VERY busy with work of late and things around our house have taken a back seat. You know, the shoemaker’s children go barefoot as they say! Overworked and tired and yet he found time to do this, not necessarily because he wanted to, but because he thought it would please me.

                So, if love is hearts, flowers, candy and sappy cards, I am not loved. If love is goodness, caring, and doing things for me, I am loved beyond measure!

                Happy wife…happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment