Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Larks vs Owls

"Birds of a feather, flock together" may be true for high school. After all, the jocks usually hung out with other jocks. The smarties, hung out with other smarties, etc. However, I think in marriage, opposites seem to attract. Maybe not in all things, but in sleeping habits, I do. I think most of us marry someone with an opposite body clock from ours.
 I am a lark. I like to get up early and get my day started. I like plenty of time in the morning to go through my morning ritual of coffee, the paper and getting ready. I do not like to stay up late. My husband, on the other hand, is an owl. He doesn't love getting up early, needs minutes, not hours to get out the door and he loves to stay up late. In fact, he likes to fall asleep to the sound of the TV. I am sure on divorce papers, there is a box to check that states this as a cause for divorce! I have learned to fold one pillow over my head to block out the flickering light of the TV without cutting off all air supply. It is an art!
I have discussed this with many other couples over the years and, time and again, I have found the husband and wife have opposite body clocks. Why are we attracted to these people so different from us? Shouldn't larks be with larks and owls be with owls?? Wouldn't it be easier? Larks sing in the morning. Owls "who-who" in the night. Trying to blend the two songs can be a never-ending challenge. Maybe we are all just dodo birds!
So, which are you? Lark? Owl? How about your mate?
Biggsuzi

2 comments:

  1. Sherwood is a lark, I am an owl----we both are definitely cuckoo birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just like you!
    Exact same situation!
    I completely agree and that make me Cuckoo LOL

    ReplyDelete