Saturday, September 10, 2011

Perfection

"How much good are you missing waiting for perfect?"
I waited several days before blogging about this quote I found. I am a confessed perfectionist and am guilty of the very behavior it addresses. I do like to get things perfect, or as close to it as I can get, in almost every aspect of my life. It is a very stressful way to live. It is, by definition, nearly impossible to attain and sustain in our daily lives. See, things happen. People get sick, friends disappoint us, spouses hurt us, kids don't do what we want them to do. It is far from a perfect world. Why have such an unattainable goal? You set yourself up for constant disappointment. Yet, I am not willing to let go of the possibility of perfection. As I have gotten older (and hopefully a little wiser), I have willed myself to redefine perfection. While, being in a suite in a hotel in Hawaii with our own personal staff, sipping a cocktail on the beach sounds like perfection, I also have to see that having a glass of wine sitting outside while my husband enjoys a cigar poolside, may just be perfection as well. Running a half marathon, while not my fastest time ever, is still being able to run 13.1 miles, a feat I never would have thought possible for me a few years ago. Isn't that close to perfection? Can't I settle on a definition that let's me enjoy the good each day while waiting for the, every now and then, perfection?
Doesn't that sound, well, perfect?!

No comments:

Post a Comment